:sync: Growing the K-12 Washington Hub on OER Commons

Author: Barbara Soots
Institution: Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction

Topic: Connecting Open Education to Primary and Secondary (K-12) Education
Sector: K-12
UNESCO Area of Focus: Building capacity
Session Format: Presentation

Abstract

The Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) OER Project works with school districts to: • increase awareness of openly licensed materials, • promote open policies, and • explore OER as an important part of their instructional materials strategy.

As more districts develop or adapt OER, we have a tremendous opportunity to share resources - promoting equitable access to standards-aligned, quality instructional materials.

Over the past five years, small competitive grants have been awarded to districts developing or adapting OER. In order to share these materials beyond the creating school district, we have worked with OER Commons to create a Washington K-12 OER Hub. Our hub contains reviewed courses and units developed by OSPI grantees or collaborators and aligned to Washington K-12 Learning Standards. It is an evolving site with resources added as they are developed.

In this session, we’ll review findings from our grant program, including numbers of teachers and students served, costs shifted to other areas, and challenges and benefits - both anticipated and unexpected. Several developed resources from OER Project grantees will be highlighted.

Keywords

K-12, grants, OER development, OER policy, state department of education

1 Like

This is of great interest to me here in Uganda as we really need to be able to tap into resources that are freely available.

1 Like

Looking forward to meeting you at the session next week! In the meantime, here’s a link to resources on our Washington OER Hub:

1 Like

I find the information at OER Commons and Washington OER Hub to be very practical and helpful. There is just tons of good stuff that we can start to put into our programs here in Uganda.
Thank you so much.

1 Like

Hello Barbara,

I’ll be your tech facilitator for your session.

• The link to the Zoom room is now listed and is only available for logged in conference registrants (this is why we have been reminding presenters to create accounts).
  • Please ensure you post all of your session materials for attendees!
  • Please try to arrive at least 10 minutes early (there will be another session going on) and let us know in chat that you are here for the next session so we can provide screen sharing access.
  • Towards the end of your session, your session facilitator, @marcela will gently provide 5 minute and 1 minute warnings via audio. We are planning to record this session and post an archive later. If you prefer not to have the session recorded, let us know.

If there is anything you need from us, please let us know! Thanks for being part of the conference.
Kristina

Hi Kristina ,

Great - see you there!

Take care,
Barbara

1 Like

Resources

OE Global -WA OER Hub.pdf (1.2 MB)
Presentation Link

2020 OER Project Grant_FP730.pdf (297.7 KB)
OER Grant Request for Proposals and Scoring Rubric

Here’s the session recording :sync:

Hello Barbara,
I really found your presentations helpful. I would very much like to continue in conversation with you after the conference.
My day is in a bit of turmoil. There has been some serious political unrest in the country, 8 people have been killed and there is ongoing rioting so my attention is a bit divided at the moment.
What is the best way for us to stay in touch? My email is bko@ucan.co.ug
Hope you have a good day.
Beat

Hi Beat,

I’m so sorry to hear about all the turmoil going on – that is terrible! I hope are staying safe.

I’m happy to continue the K-12 OER conversation as you are available. Please feel free to contact me at this email address. Until then, you may find this helpful:

Full Course OER Options for District Consideration (math, English language arts, science)

Take care,

Barbara

Barbara Soots

Open Educational Resources and Instructional Materials Program Manager

Learning and Teaching Department

Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)

P.O. Box 47200 | 600 Washington St. SE

Olympia, WA 98504-7200

mobile: 360-764-3612

barbara.soots@k12.wa.us

www.k12.wa.us

http://www.k12.wa.us/OER/

OSPI Mission

All students prepared for post-secondary pathways, careers, and civic engagement.