Open education and development collaboration: a broken promise

I work on a project (supported by Delft University of Technology) to investigate the (often limited) Open education as part of capacity building programs for universities in developing countries.
*Results will be presented during a conference and will take into consideration two cases that I’m involved in.

If anyone is interested in sharing experiences or contribute, please let me know!.

Below you will find a more detailed description.

Joost Groot Kormelink - Manager Open and Online Education

OER and Open education (OER/OE) could in principle be of great added value within the framework of for such capacity building programs:

• In principle it means open (free) access to high quality materials for both staff and students. Most CC-licences also allow adaptations to ensure local relevance.
• Activities focusing on (the joint) development of OER can increase impact in terms of: visibility, reputation, efficiency, contextualization, share and preserve local knowledge in specific fields, quality and outreach activities (re-use of materials).
• OE/OER -if implemented adequately- can sustain course and curriculum development and improve student-retention.
However, as mentioned above, open education and re-use of OER is not part (and parcel) of such programs or even a component. In this project I would like to investigate:

• What the reasons hereto are from the perspective of the donors and universities in the South (i.e. Africa).
• How open education and OER (re-use and development) could be better embedded in capacity building programs: i.e. : what are the conditions for success and what are the obstacles.
• The potential - but also risks (think about a strong bias in favour of Western knowledge and visibility at the expense of local sources)- of Gen-AI.
The idea is to address these issues from 3 angles: a) Social/cultural, b) Institutional and c) Technology.

The final result will be conference papers with a focus on awareness and a contribution to agenda setting from a policy perspective.

3 Likes

Thank you Joost for returning here to OEG connect to share this work, definitely of relevance to this community.

Can you maybe share a link to learn more about this project? What specifically defines a “capacity building program” - is it alignment with a UNESCO or other definition or are there other characteristics?

I am one who likes to explore examples to understand a topic I do not know much about.

All of these questions you pose are interesting, but generalized. Can you provide examples/links for specific capacity building programs? Ones that perhaps have incorporated open practices but also ones that have not?

I might guess it includes something like the Commonwealth of Learning Pacific Island Partnership that I also know @Mackiwg at the OER Foundation has been part-- e.g. https://oerfoundation.org/2022/07/31/oer-foundations-open-digital-infrastructure-powers-the-pacific-partnerships-open-online-courses/

Nice project! Do you know when this conference will be? I am curious about the results :slight_smile: