Pay Tribute to Paul

Dear OEG Community,

You may know that the wonderful @paulstacey recently announced his intention to transition into a new stage of his career.

This is your opportunity to celebrate Paul and all of his accomplishments right here in OEG Connect! Many thanks to Board member @zemmouri for the excellent idea and to @cogdog for setting it up.

All shared videos will appear publicly at https://flip.com/mixtapes/+zg1vpqdj

Add your tribute for Paul!

1. Video: To add your own message, record directly in FlipGrid, enter the Guest Password “ThanksPaul”. https://flipgrid.com/199be33b Note: Do not use the “Join With Microsoft / Google” buttons Once received they will be added to the public “mixtape” displayed above.

2. Words: Reply directly to this post and share whatever you would like! A photo, a fond memory, words of wisdom for Paul in the next stage of his journey…

1 Like

It’s actually been four years and 2 months that @paulstacey and I have worked together. It has flown by! Thanks so much, Paul, for welcoming me on to the Board and supporting me throughout. It has been a joy to watch you lead this team and organization. Can’t wait to see what you do next.

https://flip.com/mixtapes/+zg1vpqdj/2966018

2 Likes

Kia ora - Greetings from New Zealand!

@paulstacey A very special thank you from the OER practitioners here in the Pacific. Your generous gift of time, knowledge and expertise has had a significant impact on shaping our work at the OERu and the OER Foundation. A few memories from the past …

Paul Stacey facilitating the development of an open business model for the OERu partnership in Toowoomba, Australia in 2015 published under CC-BY-SA license.

Just for the fun of it - to prove you were open before the age of mainstream adoption of Web-conferencing tools, we have a video recording of a teleconference with you providing feedback on the outcomes of a SCoPE seminar with recommendations for the inaugural OERu credential.

Thanks for all you have done for open and what you will continue to contribute in the future.

2 Likes

Yes, and thanks from me, too, who was still an OER noob when I first encountered @paulstacey at that auspicious meeting in Toowoomba!

1 Like

@Lena, @Mackiwg, @lightweight Thanks for these very kind words. I’m honoured to have supported your work and blessed to have a position where I can influence education globally to be more open, accessible, and available for all to participate in and contribute to. I look forward to continuing this journey together while I am at OEGlobal and in a different capacity at paulstacey.globalhttps://paulstacey.global/ starting next year. I enjoyed seeing many friends and colleagues here in Nantes France at the OEGlobal conference and can’t wait to see you all again too. Take care.

2 Likes

Thank you Paul for your dedication, focus, and vision for not only open education globally, this organization, but also for being one of the most caring and human leaders I have been fortunate to work with.

Imgur
In a podcast studio at the Vancouver Library, 2016 Quests? Yes! flickr photo by cogdogblog shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license

I appreciate so much your confidence and willingness to listen to my wild ideas both in Open Education Global and also our work together at Creative Commons. The connections go back so far I cannot see the starting point, but am guessing it was from the start days of BCcampus when I was lucky as a young technologist at a community college in Arizona to forge so many links and friendships with colleagues in British Columbia.

As a blogger I was profoundly struck by how in depth you wrote in the “Edtech Frontiers” blog (and thanks for keeping it alive) nt to mention the familiar location of the photo and the iconic red shoes :wink: I’d be very excited to see more writing in that new domain of yours.

I found photos from a 2012 SCOPE session of Online Community Enthusiasts that I am guessing was organized with the Open Ed Conference

Imgur
Paul Stacey flickr photo by cogdogblog shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license

Imgur
Paul Stacey Listens Intently flickr photo by cogdogblog shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license

That intent listening is consistent in all the work we did together, but it was always more than work when we were on projects.

I am a bit sad that we won’t be working together every day but I am more happy you get this opportunity to follow your interests, which I would hope is making more art. And maybe some ping pong too.

With all fondness, caring back, and respect, I just cannot say thank you enough.

Alan

4 Likes

Alan, I really appreciate your words of thanks. It has been my great privilege to have worked side by side with you. What a journey we’ve been on. I have long admired the way you embody the spirit of openness in your personal practice and your blogging. You’ve been an inspiration for me.

I intend to continue my open journey. I will definitely be writing more, making more art and playing ping pong but mostly I’ll be side by side with you and others working to make the world a better place through open education.

Here’s to many more years together.

1 Like