Sustainable Funding Solutions in Open Education with the Web Monetization Standard :async:

Erica Hargreave (StoryToGo / Ahimsa Media / BCIT / UBC), Lori Yearwood (StoryToGo / Ahimsa Media), Kevin Ribble (StoryToGo / Ignite / BCIT)

There is a new movement at play on the web with the Web Monetization Standard. This new browser API standard allows for the generation of a payment stream from the user directly to the website being viewed. (Melendez, 2019) The goal behind this movement is to create a more equitable share of money earned from time spent on content in the digital sphere to the content creator, rather than to the browser or platform. This system is made possible thanks to the streaming of micropayments to creators, utilizing blockchain technology. (gFam, 2021) For the open educational community this represent a potential new funding source to allow educators and creatives to build sustainability behind their projects and the open educational resources that they craft. (Parameswaran, 2020)

2020 / 2021 have seen huge strides for the Web Monetization Standard (Nelson, 2021), thanks to investment from Grant for Web (a fund supported by Coil, Creative Commons, and Mozilla) in creators, educators and technologists building Web Monetized platforms, conducting research on the Web Monetization Standard, crafting Web Monetized solutions for mainstream platforms, and experimenting and developing Web Monetized projects. In this session, we will discover how different creatives, educators, and technologists from around the world are utilizing the Web Monetization Standard in numerous industries including education, health and wellness, the arts, gaming, podcasting, film, and marketing, through a variety of case studies.

Extended abstract: OE_Global_2021_paper_128.pdf 📄

Presentation Details

UNESCO OER Action Area: Sustainable OER
Format: Pre-recorded Presentation
Language: English

Participate

Pre-recorded presentations will be added below by the author(s). Watch them anytime during the conference.

Join or start the conversations with the author(s) by replying below with questions or comments, paying particular attention to the relationship to the OER Recommendation Action Areas. Please also share related resources.

Hello OE Global 2021,

It is great to virtually connect with all of you here!

Over the past year, my team and I have been fortunate to immerse ourselves in Web Monetization, as grantees of Grant for the Web. I share our journey in the talk below, and the possibilities that Web Monetization holds in being a potential game changer (at least on the maintenance side) in the quest for sustainably funding open education resources.

DISCOVER MORE

For those of you that wish to learn more, immerse yourselves in the first Unit of our open course on Web Monetization: Understanding and Utilizing the Web Monetization Standard as a Creator and an Educator : an Open Course

PARTICIPATE IN A WEB MONETIZATION COMMUNITY CALL

I am hosting Grant for the Web’s Community Call this week on Wednesday September 29th at 8 am PST / 11 am EST / 5 pm CET. This is a great opportunity to discover more of the community and further immerse yourself in it. Anyone who wishes to join us is welcome to do so, just be sure to register via the Eventbrite link below.
Here’s the invitation …

We are pleased to share that our next Community Call will be on Wednesday September 29th at 8 am PST / 11 am EST / 5 pm CET.

Erica Hargreave (StoryToGo.ca) is hosting this Community Call with the creative help of Pamela Alexander (pamelajalexander.com) and Briana Stuart (creativelivingfordancers.com). This promises to be an engaging Community Call with a bit a play and relaxing fun to kick off the call, a dive into where we can all enjoy more of that in Pamela and Briana’s work, and then a launch into exploring ways of building connections to work with one another and help each other out as we further build our community.

We do hope you can join us! To register go to: Grant for the Web Community Call Tickets, Wed, 29 Sep 2021 at 11:00 AM | Eventbrite

Looking forward to seeing you next Wednesday!

Erica Hargreave & The Grant for the Web Team

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS & IDEAS

Once you’ve immersed yourself in the Web Monetization Standard, share your thoughts. Are there ways that you can see utilising Web Monetization with your open educational resources? If so, how?

QUESTIONS?

Do you have questions about Web Monetization or how to Web Monetize various aspects of your work? Ask away. What I don’t know I can easily find out for you.

GRANT FOR THE WEB

Grant for the Web is the main funding body that is helping to grow the Web Monetization ecosystem. They themselves are funded by Creative Commons, Mozilla, and Coil.

I encourage everyone to check out their grants, as they are funding all sorts of interesting projects around technology, education, research, funding models, and the arts, with a focus on creating a more equitable web for content creators. While their latest Call for Proposals closed yesterday, there will be another one in the coming months.

In the meantime, you can read more here about: What They Learned from Our Early Grantmaking, and How They Are Applying It To Their New Open Call for Proposals

I have to give David Porter a nod of thanks here, as he is the one who steered me in the direction of Grant for the Web and Web Monetization, for which I cannot be thankful enough, as I’ve been thoroughly enjoying my journey with them. In fact I wrote about that journey recently, here: Sustainable Funding Series — Final Grant Report

WEB MONETIZATION LIBRARY

Oh and before I forget, here are the links to the Web Monetization Library that I’ve been building: