The Global OER Graduate Network (GO-GN): Research Showcase, Collaboration & Consultation :async:

Beck Pitt (The Open University), Martin Weller (The Open University), Robert Farrow (The Open University), Francisco Iniesto (The Open University)

The Global OER Graduate Network (GO-GN) is a network of doctoral students from around the world, whose research focuses on open education topics. GO-GN raises the profile of member research, connects and supports the membership and promotes openness as a form of research. Diversity, equity and inclusion are central to GO-GN’s work.

This three part interactive session aims to both highlight the work of our membership and deepen our relationship with the wider open education community. Following a Gasta style showcase of member research, we will focus on collaborative activity to both help shape a forthcoming GO-GN collaborative output and, as we approach our 10th anniversary, to better understand how we can serve our membership and the open education community going forward.

Extended abstract: OE_Global_2021_paper_79.pdf 📄

Activity Details

UNESCO OER Action Area: Developing supportive policy
Format: Asynchronous Interactive Activity
Language: English

Participate

This activity can be completed at any time during (or after) the conference.

Instructions and materials for the activity will be added below by the authors. They will provide specific details on how to participate and what to share back as a response to the activity.

1 Like

Hello!

Thanks so much for dropping by to the GO-GN Research Showcase, Collaboration & Consultation space at OE Global. It’s great to see you! GO-GN supports doctoral students around the world in their research on open education topics.

To start this week’s interactive session, we wanted to share some new videos of our fantastic GO-GN’ers talking about their doctoral research:

• Marjon Baas (Leiden) who is in her final year and researching HE educators adoption of OER
  • Jess O’Reilly (Athabasca) on student experiences of renewable assignments
  • And alumni Kathy Essmiller (Oklahoma State) on higher education librarian experiences of publishing OER

Excited to find out more about what GO-GN’ers are working on? You can hear from more of our awesome members and alumni over on our YouTube channel.

Interested in getting involved in the network? Find out more on our website!

Please post any questions or comments below. And also check back shortly for details of more activities to get involved with. Enjoy the conference!

1 Like

Hello!

Hope you’re enjoying the conference so far and thanks for dropping by.

In the second of our posts, we wanted to highlight the latest of our collaborative research reports, The GO-GN Conceptual Frameworks Guide, which examines different conceptual frameworks used in doctoral research on open education. Published in September 2021 this guide is part of a series of collaborative publications with members. The guide accompanies last year’s Research Methods Handbook, which focuses on different methodologies used in open research on open education. We also produce annual collaborative reviews of the latest research in open education and are currently working on our 2021 edition, to be released later this year.

We would love to hear your thoughts and feedback! @RobertFarrow will also be speaking on Friday about the Guide’s development so please join him and colleagues for Webinar 21 at 09.00AM UK.

Have a great rest of the day!

I enjoyed checking out the profiles and hearing areas of investigation expressed in each persons own words. Impressive array of research going on from open pedagogy, to how teachers assess quality of OER, to how to best situate OER efforts within exiting library structures, and more. Kudos to you all for helping us all understand how to do open education better.

1 Like

The compilation of conceptual frameworks is super interesting. Such a range of frameworks. Yet somehow they all seem to hang together and represent a kind of holistic multi-dimensional view of open education. I can see why this is super helpful.

One of the frameworks you have that I’ve been thinking a lot about is Value Creation.

In creating OEGlobal’s new Strategic Plan I became deeply interested in the work of Richard Norman, Rafael Ramirez and Ulf Mannervik. They wrote a number of books that describe an alternative approach to strategy based on generating value co-creation offerings rather than the typical approach that focuses on generating products and services. These books describe their thinking:

Strategy for a Networked World - this book for me was the one that struck a chord. I recommend it.

Designing Interactive Strategy - from value chain to value constellation. See here and here

In their value co-ceation framework the networked world of distributed processing, shared services, social networks, concurrent engineering and platform organizations, value creation is synchronous, involves more actors, and is more interactive than traditional supply chain models. One of the differentiators of this approach is a focus on designing interactions between multiple “actors” who collaboratively co-create something of mutual value. In this approach the key to creating value is to design offerings that mobilize others to co-create value together. Value co-creation is done not as a sequential chain but as systems or webs of configured relations. This networked co-creation of value approach aligns well with open education in my view and has been incorporated into OEGlobal’s strategic plan as our third area of focus. This OEGlobal conference is a good example of value co-creation.

Thanks fo stimulating thinking like this that helps shape our understanding and forward learnings through research.

1 Like

I do have a question too.

As described in our strategic plan OEGlobal is exploring the creation of a research connector space where academic researchers can connect with other international peers engaged in the study of open education and its impact. We imagine such a research space as including GOGN but being broader in that it aims to connect the larger community of researchers not just those pursuing a PhD. One of the ways we envision this is as a space that connects researchers not only to each other but also to state, national, and regional open education leaders. Ideally it would serve as not only a place to connect but also as a place that tracks progress on open education initiatives, gathers evidence of progress, and acts as a source of impact to aid evidence based decision making. Is this something the GOGN network might be interested in discussing? I’ve been meaning to reach out to the OER Research Hub on this too. Let me know.

1 Like

Hi @paulstacey Thanks so much for all your thoughtful responses to our posts and for sharing; it’s so appreciated. Many thanks also for reaching out re: plans for a research connector space. It would be great to discuss this further, if possible. Thanks so much

We hope you’ve had a wonderful conference so far and thanks so much again for dropping by to the GO-GN space!

Whether you were already familiar with GO-GN or have just found out about the network at OE Global21, we would love to hear from you. As the network approaches its 10th anniversary, we are considering a range of questions including:

• How could the network better serve you and the wider open education community?

• If you’re not currently a doctoral researcher but are considering doctoral study, are a supervisor or have a general interest in our work, you can get involved in GO-GN by joining as a “friend” of the network. How do you see the role of a “friend” of GO-GN?

All thoughts, suggestions and feedback are warmly welcome and thanks so much again for your support and feedback so far!

Thanks Paul! One thing we are interested in is whether there is an emergent set of frameworks/perspectives that are (or will become) characteristic of open approaches. I don’t think we got to a final answer to this in this version but I think there is a common direction of travel for many. It’s hard to be categorical, though, as there are so many contexts of application and differences in approach. But at the meta level, where we are thinking about how researchers are organising themselves practically and conceptually, I think we ascertain within GO-GN some really interesting forms of sharing and exchange which I would characterise as open educational practice. The Conceptual Frameworks Guide and Research Methods Handbook are examples of co-created resources that, in addition to being (hopefully) useful also act as anchoring points for the GO-GN community. By contributing to these outputs I think people feel more strongly that they are part of a community that is adding value through their activity.