:async: The Sustainable Model of NCTU OCW

Authors: Ta-Wei Li, Yue-Shuang Chang, Feng-Chen Hsieh, Ken Nett Khoo, Mong-Ying Lin
Institution: National Chiao Tung University

Topic: Applications of Open Education Practices/Open Pedagogy/Open Education Research
Sector: Higher Education
UNESCO Area of Focus: Inclusive OER
Session Format: Poster

Abstract

When the OCW movement took off with the launch of MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 2001, it soon became the most famous open education resources globally. The OCW wave hit Taiwan around 2006. In Taiwan, National Chiao Tung University (NCTU) was the first university to launch the OCW project in 2006, and the first three OCW courses were calculus, physics and chemistry. Since then, a total of 25 Taiwanese universities had built more than 770 OCW courses during the time between 2006 and 2013.

In Taiwan, the OCW wave has abruptly been engulfed by the MOOC tsunami since 2012. Now, there are less than 5 universities that continue to create OCW courses, but more than 60 universities keep building new MOOC programs.

Nevertheless, NCTU is still building 12 ~ 16 OCW courses annually. Before the end of last summer, NCTU OCW platform (https://ocw.nctu.edu.tw/) had collected more than 280 OCW courses. This poster is to explain why NCTU continues to build new OCW courses and how NCTU builds the sustainable model of OCW. It will reveal several key factors for the foundation of the sustainability, which includes NCTU OCW policy, NCTU OCW culture as well as the modifiable technologies of recording and post editing.

Keywords

OCW, NCTU, recording models, post-editing techniques

1 Like

Hello, I am Ta-Wei and most of my friends call me Dave. I am the director of the open education office (OEO) at National Chiao Tung University (NCTU). Yue-Shuang Chang, Feng-Chen Hsieh, Ken Nett Khoo, Mong-Ying Lin and I work together to serves the creation and development of NCTU OCW. In this poster, we will present how to motivate the participation of the professors and enhance the frequency of the usage of NCTU OCW. Hopefully, this poster can help you to build up a archive of good OCW. We also like to hear more suggestion to create better OCW or support the sustainable development of OCW.

Please download the following pdf to see the poster.
The Sustainable Model of NCTU OCW.pdf (3.7 MB)

The introduction film of this poster is shown below and I am happy to answer any question. :slight_smile:
https://youtu.be/TGxKeUldz5A

Our president sometimes asked why NCTU OEO need so many students assistants to film editing.
Why is the ratio of edit time/record time equal to or more than 10 for most of NCTU OCW? Because

1. We always use 2 camera angles or sometimes 3 angles to catch the best contents of the lectures
  2. We always added additional markers on the focus of the lecture content which can help student understand more about the lectures’ contents.
  3. We always help correct the video errors made by professors, either blackboard or vocal.

Hello Dave, thank you for the interesting poster :slight_smile: especially loved the feedback section of students with ‘grandma studying calculus to tutor her grandson’. Great reach with the OCW program!

Based on your experiences, what are the main motivations of teachers at NCTU to participate in the OCW program? We mostly have good experiences with the ‘innovators’, so would love to learn if you have any tips on how to motivate teachers to share their resources.