What are good resources for finding diverse images of people?

What are your favorite sites to find openly-licensed or royalty-free diverse images (stock photos, etc.) of people?

This topic has come up multiple times on the CCCOER Community of Practice email list, so I wanted to reach out to the global open education community. I’ve made this a wiki, so add resources below or add a comment on how you find diverse images.

Collections of resources:

EDI Focused Image Collections:

Bonus - Free image collections

“What are good resources for finding diverse images of people?” by Liz Yata is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0

12 Likes

This is an awesome list. I was looking for pics of students of color about a week ago and ended up really frustrated because there was so little to choose from. This has opened up a whole new world for me!!! Thank you

2 Likes

Thank you Liz! I’ll be stealing this and putting this on my website.

2 Likes

This post has been added to MERLOT (not by me) if anyone wants to interact with it there. https://www.merlot.org/merlot/viewMaterial.htm?id=773404711

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this curation @LizYata! Bookmarking all of these. The Gender spectrum collection from Vice has been a favourite of mine for a while and I’m so glad to see more and more options crop up.

1 Like

Spotted today a twitter thread by @NateAngell on this topic, nice to see the overlap but as well more that he ought to know of

1 Like

This one “made my day”. It says so much. Without a hint of tokenism.

Credit: Disabled And Here.
Photo taken by Chona Kasinger.
CC-BY 4.0

2 Likes

Hello @LizYata … I know I am a bit late to the party, but I wanted to share with you a little project ahem that Wiki In Africa has been working with for the last 8 (nearly 9 years now) – Wiki Loves Africa :wink:

There are now over 83,000 images that are freely licenced and available on Wikimedia Commons that relate to specific universal themes but broadly reflect Africa – here are the links:

For the best of the best, you can find all the international winners for each year here:

And here’s a video of the Wiki Loves Africa 2022 shortlist …!

Winners to be announced next week.

(all licencing and attribution rules for Wikimedia Commons apply)

1 Like

Oh - and if you want an incredible collection of icons that show a range of representations and are available for CC licenced work, check out this inspiring collection: Redefining Women Icon Collection by Iconathon | Noun Project

Here are a few examples …
Screenshot 2022-09-29 at 17.16.23

1 Like

I found a set of three collections in a very useful post on writing image descriptions under a section on “Describing race and gender”

In general, I recommend describing race and gender if (1) it’s relevant to the image, (2) if you know what their identity is, and (3) if the way you’re describing it is consistent with other descriptions.

It’s relevant if it’s an essential part of the message — such as a joke specifically about identity or celebrating the radical visibility of marginalized people. It’s known if the people in the photo have confirmed their identity. It’s consistent if you’re describing everyone’s race and not just people of color (rather assuming white as the default).

And the ones I found were already on the list! Note that the ones from Disabled and Here include suggested image descriptions for each photo.

1 Like

Small note of interest- Nappy is now a source of open licensed images from Openverse (the successor to the Creative Commons CC Search).

Use the right side filters to select specific collections to limit searches, e.g. a search on “educators” from just Nappy

2 Likes

Always good to find more collections, just added the University of Kentucky’s CCO collection in flickr after reading this story:

1 Like