Local offline digital library in garden to get open resources

Hi,
From past long time i was trying to get the knowledge of internet in a box which is the best things that i ever saw, duration of all this knowledge i m now very much experience to create my own internet in box using diffrent open resource materials which is very useful for the student.
Now next week i m going to put this all my effort into reality where i m going to prepare my very first digital offline garden library in 300 meter garden area.
Where i m going to put my well prepare internet in a box with using solar panel, batteries and using external wifi.
This can bring 500 student at a one time to get knowledge offline where without internet they are able to collect more than 300000 educational information and resources in form of audio, vedio , pdf, and much more contents.

This will be the very first kind of project in entire world going to be happened which will bring the library to an open garden.

I m looking forward for some one to give me more information and knowledge that can be help me out on this my project.

Please your valuable knowledge is important for us.

3 Likes

Interesting, may I know more details about the tools used to create Internet in box.

1 Like

Hello Rimit,

Thank you for sharing your internet in a box project. Like @sushumna i am more interested in it’s details, I could not find much information about key2digi listed in your profile.

This has been a topic discussed elsewhere here with several different approaches of hardware

If I understand your question you are seeking more sources of content? What do you currently include?

Thank you again for writing here

1 Like

I have been using respberry pi as main hardware having all information like, khan academy, Wikipedia ( english, hindi, tamil, telgu, kannad, urdu and marathi) , medical encyclopaedia, maths expression , infotech- biovision, great booke of the world and many more such like content adjacent joint to next with external wifi which further increase the range of raspberry pi up to 400 meters. Then connected to solar panels having battery in it which power up for whole day to raspberry pi and batteries. Whole set up is ready and soon we will going to put in outside garden so every single student can come there and get offline information from that does not require any internet connection.

For supporting this project the local minister has help us with littile amount and now we are all set to began first kind of digilaise ground library.

Much more evaluation and expertise will come as soon as we will proceed further.

1 Like

Excellent idea to connect to Solar panel for charging! Earlier I experimented with MoodleBox disk image in Raspberry Pi and used portable phone chargers for a remote school to give them access to stories from Storyweaver. And I did not take it forward though!

2 Likes

Waoow greate work done by you.

How long this idea you work and why you dind continue for this ?

I think our indian government should take a good and solid step towards this since offline through over the wifi we can give wat ever the student wanted and most advantage is that they will not use internet at all since over miss uses of this.
I wish we could create a pan india a wifi like similar system where only educational information can be access over the wifi.
That could be possible just needed a some kind of connection with educational ministery.

1 Like

Contact us (delmar@LibreTexts.org) if you are interested in throwing in our repository into this project. We are about to release our Project SOLO designed for things like this (offline distribution of our corpus).

1 Like

Thanks Thats so nice of you what are the thing available in your repository can you please tell me more about this.

This is exciting to see unfold here.

Delmar is speaking of the open textbook platform at https://libretexts.org/ with content in many subjects that should be of interest.

1 Like

Yes @cogdog i have gone through the website its beautiful, knowledge, intersting and trust worthy. I like whole the architecture of website also easy to use and able to get information.
Wish we can utilise this module offline for our project so the student which cant afford internet or dont have internet connectivity can utilise this whole content easily.

I will be in touch with @DelmarLarsen to know much more about this and will take further information from him.

As I volunteer to translate and write stories in Storyweaver where the material is available with Open License. and arranged level wise, I used to download level wise and arrange them for different classes in a school, later I moved from that place and teachers were not motivated then virtually (now pandemic is blessing in disguise :slight_smile: )so somehow did not continue and now I am rethinking and working on that again for a story telling/reading sessions. Soon I will share details.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed exploring Storyweaver and am so impressed with the range of content and languages supported, thanks @sushumna

2 Likes

Another variant I like is Kiwix which provides a means to download Wikipedia, Project Gutenburg books, TED talk videos to a device while in a location where internet is available, and then being able to read/view when in a location without internet.

You can use a shared hotspot device like you are doing with the Raspberry Pi but also repurpose a laptop to maybe serve content through wireless sharing.

Also of note is Wikifundi which goes beyond providing content to read o give an experience of MediaWiki editing when offline- this too runs on Raspberry Pi… ask @Anthere for details.

2 Likes

I also love that quite good content.

@sushumna thats look very good stuff for the specially small kids who love to read the books . I was just like to be add this story books to my content can you help me out how can i be get that contents so i can add in my respberry pi to give that knowledge offline to specially rural students.

1 Like

Yes @cogdog i m using that kind of modules only and having a RACHEL content on it also.

I was just wondering there be too low supply of respberry pi w zero i wish could find a another similar like device who do the same work like this ? Any knowledge do you have regarding this.

I am topically familiar with Rachel. We have used Raspberry Pis to distribute our content via wifi using Kolibri and we were in discussions to shifting over to Kiwix befeore the pandemic - this needs a big SD card though (nice that developing tech has that covered these days). We have been building (via partnership with Learnful Labs) a mini-LMS platform (SOLO) that can also run on Raspberry Pis that can host our corpus and allow for editing and H5P assessments (we have 10k in our studio repo and growing - studio.libretexts.org). This is how I would recommend moving forward.

I may mentioned that most of our corpus is in English and some in Spanish, we have set up, with the support of Nice CXOne and Amazon a machine translation system that will convert books to new languages using machine translation (while not perfect, it can then be easily updated and far more useful than no text at all). We will be using this to populate ~250,000 new OER pages in Ukranian for displaced students (https://ukrayinska.libretexts.org/). This can be applied to up to 100 other languages if local language support is needed for your project. Here is a video on this thurst: Using Machine Translation Algorithms to Effectively generate Non-English language OER Textbooks - YouTube

1 Like

Hello @DelmarLarsen i will gone through with that and will revert you back asap on this. By the way thanks for this whole information.

Even i have prepared the OE resources in usb drive also ( which is virus protected and copy protected ) which available in very low cost 8$ only for the student so they can have there own digital offline OE resources having information like, offline wikipedia, khan academy video, infotech-biovison, great books of the world, medical encylopaedia, health and medicine science over 2000 video, math expression, scratch, practical action, pht stimulation and many more.

The student are using this and getting very good information love to be have this digital content library .

Hello @Rimit

Welcome to #OEGConnect and to the fabulous world of Open Offline solutions !!

You can get a heap of information from all the discussions, posts, presentations and webinars on offline resources in Open Education here: Topics tagged offline

You can also gather more Wiki-centric offline resources, as someone has suggested from Kiwix, WikiFundi and Rachel.

There is also an Wikimedian for Offline Usergroup that has several resources, most notably:

2 Likes

I just discovered a few more tangentially related projects/concepts for innovative approaches to offering content/activity where internet is lacking.

A bit more aimed at primary/secondary learners, but relevant is a UNESCO World Education post

Bloom Library provides over 12,000 books, for free in multiple languages (including ones from Storyweaver mentioned above), supported with accessibility features, that suggests it can be accessed offline via the Bloom Reader (check me on that)

And moving beyond content, Digital Democracy’s Mapeo is a mobile app for collecting data (offline) to contribute to mapping projects

MAPEO is an offline-first open-source technology which makes it easy for many to use. No internet or special hardware required to collect, view, or share data.

This reminds me a bit of the idea behind KoboToolbox I experimented with maybe in 2018.

1 Like