Open space to host Educational Comic Strips

Greetings everyone, trust you are all well.

We have recently created two comic strips to unpack key digital concepts, i.e., Digital Literacy, and Gaming in Education. We found that students are able to retain more knowledge through visual resources. So we explored a bit of creativity in opting for comic strips. These are comic strips designed by professional graphic artists, customized with a special learning outcome and with a clear storyboarding. These are in English, but we also translated them into three South African languages for the localization of the open resource.

Any advice on what are the best open platforms to host these? We would also need the platform to be mobile-compatible. We looking for platforms that have a global reach. We have an internal platform, but I want something more globally accessible.

Many thanks!
Denzil

1 Like

Hello, congratulations for your work: it seems brilliant! Is your game open source? The platform could depend on this I guess. Have a nice day, Perrine

Hi Perrine.
Many thanks for the congrats. These are open-source comic strips. Licensed under a CC. These are images in a panel. Here is a link to the English version for the gaming in education:

see the comics

Hi Denzil, I’m glad you posted the question here. There are of course numerous places to upload that will be clearly licensed, and always Wikimedia Commons is a good option.

It might help to know if you are interested in posting the individual panels as images (so they can be reused or even put into new sequences), or the strips as a whole image.

I’m hopeful others will chime in, but have to admit I am old school in advocating for flickr, which has built in CC licensing, options to use tags to provide categorization, excellent discoverability in web search and in Openverse CC image search.

You can store panels as separate items, and then group them into an album to create a full sequence (and download all images at once)… I found an old one I did where I turned my experience of being stranded in an airport into a comic. Also, other flickr users can re-assemble any public image into galleries (example) so you could invite others to resequenced your comic panels or remix with other images.

Free flickr accounts allow uploads of up to 1000 images and unlimited number of albums.

I love the idea of posting as single panels and allowing the reuse, remix and repurpose idea. This will further strengthen the “open” mandate. The built in CC licensing and web search potential does make Flickr a good option (even if old school). This might be a good option to start with and expand later :slight_smile: