We invite you to join in anytime for our Three Days of Focussed Annotation November 30 - December 2, 2021 (but encourage you to extend it as long as you like) on the Building Capacity Action Area of the UNESCO Recommendation on OER.
This is aimed at It providing an opportunity to position open education work within the context of the Recommendation and to learn from the work of others. These notes attached to specific words of the Recommendation offer practical advice from the field, valuable lessons, and insights that will be applied to future implementation strategies.
What does Building Capacity mean for OER? What does it look like? Where is it happening? We open discussion of these questions but also are encouraging focused web annotation in our Pressbooks version of the Recommendation.
The Recommendation on OER describes this action area as:
developing the capacity of all key education stakeholders to create, access, re-use, re-purpose, adapt, and redistribute OER, as well as to use and apply open licenses in a manner consistent with national copyright legislation and international obligations;
And specifically in Article 11, suggests:
Member States are recommended to strategically plan and support OER capacity building, awareness raising, use, creation and sharing at the institutional and national levels, targeting all education sectors and levels.
- Review the summary from the OEGlobal 2021 Conference Building Capacity : What does Building Capacity mean to you and your work?
- Watch the introduction video by Paola Corti (@Paola) and colleagues (in six languages, subtitles and transcript available)
- Explore the OEGlobal2021 Conference sessions related to the Building Capacity action area and consider adding them and/or resources shared as annotations.
- Get Ready to Annotate from our post here in OEG Connect or go directly to the Pressbooks version of the Recommendation.
- Respond to the What do YOU think questions by offering ideas or asking questions about Capacity Building, sharing examples that demonstrate it, or media that can convey what it looks like in the world.
- Annotate the part of the OER Recommendation about Capacity Building – this link opens to an annotation for this section of the document with an invitation to contribute more to this area. Or annotate this
- Annotate Together 2021-12-01T15:00:00Z → 2021-12-01T22:00:00Z Drop into the OEGlobal Annotation Lab via zoom to annotate together in real time and discuss with colleagues what we are doing.
- Getting Granular We provide here and via Twitter prompts that each are focused on the six specific suggestions listed under the Building Capacity Action area, and specific phrases within each that are suggestions for creating annotations.
- Track Our Progress with visual summaries of annotation activity via CROWDLAAERS
Participate in any way that works for you, we just hope to enrich the text of the Recommendation with a global perspective on where we are with Building Capacity and what the issues are surrounding it.