Be Social: OEGlobal 21 Talent Show

Judith Sebesta (Digital Higher Education Consortium of Texas), Paul Stacey (OEGlobal)

A showcase of online conference attendees’ talents in a fun, interactive, virtual talent show!

Talents can be more “traditional,” such as singing, playing a musical instrument, dancing, magic tricks, juggling, or they might be more unusual, such as talking backwards, ear/eyebrow wiggling, joke-telling, double-jointedness, demonstrating a “lifehack” – anything (G-rated) goes!

Participants are asked to sign up ahead of time, and attendees will vote on things like “best in show,” “most unusual talent,” “funniest talent,” and the like. Although the event will be “emceed” in English, talents could be performed in other languages or be non-verbal.

College of DuPage’s “COD’s Got Talent” Student Talent Show 6 flickr photo by COD Newsroom shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license

Who’s Got OE Global Talent?

UNESCO OER Action Area: (you tell us!)
Duration: 1h 00m

Talent Show Episode 1 hosted by Judith Sebesta @JudithSebesta

When (converted to your local time):
2021-09-28T14:00:00Z2021-09-28T15:00:00Z

Watch the Talent Show (registered conference participants only):

Join Webinar (Room OEG)

Talent Show Episode 2 hosted by Paul Stacey @paulstacey

When (converted to your local time):
2021-09-30T05:00:00Z2021-09-29T23:00:00Z

Watch the Talent Show (registered conference participants only):

Join Webinar (Room OEG)

Participate

• Share Your Talent Sign up to be part of the talent show - Talent Show Sign Up Form. Deadline for signup to Tuesday Talent Show is 6 am Pacific time on Tuesday. Deadline for signup for Wednesday Talent Show is 9 pm Pacific time Wednesday.
  • Vote Thursday September 30, 2021 cast your votes for Best of OE Global 2021 Talent
  • Wait Friday October 1, 2021 for an announcement of winners

Note: This is one of many social activities taking place during the conference. For fun we are placing them in different spaces of the conference. Find them all via the be-social tag.

3 Likes

Please join us for the fun, to share a talent, celebrate others’ talents, or both!

Rejoignez-nous pour le plaisir, pour partager un talent, célébrer les talents des autres, ou les deux !

¡Únase a nosotros para divertirse, compartir un talento, celebrar los talentos de los demás o ambos!

1 Like

Judith and I are excited to be hosting this talent show with you all. We can’t wait to see how your talent performances bridge culture, connect us all together, and help us get to know each other. Join us in the fun and laughter. Dazzle us with your talent and cheer on the talents of others!

Talent show performance ideas:

• Play a musical instrument
  • Perform a Magic Trick (or two!)
  • Stand-up Comedy Routine
  • Perform a Dance
  • Cheerleading
  • Double Jointedness
  • Fold Towel Animals
  • Slam-Poetry (or regular poetry) Reading
  • Tell a joke or story
  • Rap Improv
  • Sing a song
  • Fruit Carving
  • Hula-hooping
  • Ventriloquist Act
  • Puppet show
  • Jump-rope tricks
  • Breakdance
  • Hand-clapping routine
  • Mime
  • Yoga stances
  • Whistle a tune
  • Impersonations of famous people
  • Yo-Yo tricks
  • Karate
  • Juggling
  • Creative eyebrow wiggling
  • Baton twirling
  • Pet tricks
  • Recite a famous speech
3 Likes

Paul’s got juggling talent. :grinning:
What talent do you have?

8 Likes

Outstanding, Paul! That is an impressive talent. Here is a related joke: What should you do if you’re attacked by a group of clowns? Go straight for the juggler.

3 Likes

I can sing and play guitar – you’ll get a little sample of that tomorrow during the first show! – but for now, a little joke: https://youtu.be/0a2_G74yjTU

3 Likes

Here’s a track in lieu of something else, unless Susan does something…

#petagogy

1 Like

groan
love it Judith
hahahaha

1 Like

Hi, Gino! If you wanted us to include this in one of the live sessions, please be sure to submit a Talent Show Sign Up Form. Thanks!

1 Like

Love it Gino!!! Are we going to do one on the picture book too?

1 Like

Ready? The Green Room is making me nervous! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks to all who joined us. What a talented group!

Thank you @JudithSebesta and @paulstacey for a FUN end to the second day. Judith, please license that song and share with us! You are right: #earworm of note (geddit?)… :rofl:

1 Like

Will do, Gina! Thank you so much for sharing your music! I’m still dancing… :smiley:

The Global Open Education Graduate Network (@GOGN_OER) fellowship project supported the creation of this picture storybook about the values of Open: Together.

This picture book is for young children and adults alike. It can be read and explored together. The story is about three friends who went on an adventure down the river to build a playground. On their way they meet other animals who seem to put obstacles in their way. Read the story to discover what happens next.
The story was written and illustrated by a group of individuals from different parts of the world who worked together online over 6 months. They also had the help of many other educators from around the world who generously contributed their ideas and the characters of the story also originate from their contributions. All committed to creating a socially just world where education is available to all. Values such as sharing, collaborating and helping others are central to this mission of what is called open education and will help towards achieving the UN’s Global Sustainable Development Goal 4, “Quality Education for All”.

Some may recognise other stories and fairytales in this story. The illustrations are a remix of details of exhibits from the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, available under CC0 and new illustrations.

@chrissinerantzi @verenanz @Paola @Molya @GinoFransman @VisualThinkery

5 Likes

Love the narration and characterisation in this presentation:)

3 Likes

This is truly amazing! Can’t wait!!! More about our collaborative open picture book on our `dedicated GO-GN page at https://go-gn.net/go-gn-picture-book/.

3 Likes

So much fun to start my day !!!

3 Likes

Fantastic Gino really sends out an important message :+1:t3::+1:t3:

3 Likes

Here’s my submission for the talent show, a freestyle dog dancing (also called heelwork with music) routine performed by my dog Ginger and me earlier this year.

(I know this uses copyrighted music… hopefully, that doesn’t disqualify us!)

If you want to see more skilled freestyle dog dancing, you can view my instructor Monica and her dog Augie’s performance to Walking On Sunshine.

7 Likes