The View We Never See in Zoom

With all the video meetings we have done over the last few years, with cameras on we always see a view into room behind each other, but we do not see the view each person has as they look into their screens.

I was struck by this when @JudithSebesta shared a view of her home office space – I always see the room behind Judith, but never her view. I even noticed a photo on her wall that I thought I recognized.

So I thought it might be interesting for all participants to share the view of this conference from where they are participating, similar to what we did in 2020 for the View From Where I Sit. Or just describe your own view in words, be it home office, coffee shop, or first row of the conference hall in Nantes.

Share your view?

Just as an example, this is not where I will be during OEGlobal22 (because it starts at 1:00am, local time!) but here is a photo of where I am working today, at the Evolve coffee shop in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

This is actually the first time I have been in a coffee shop since March 2020, wow is it nice to be out here.

3 Likes

How nice to see your work view, at least at that moment! Glad my own view inspired this.

Before getting to Nantes, I’ve been spending a few days in Geneva, “squatting” some campus buildings as I do my usual work. Nice to have WiFi through Eduroam. While open resources are better than that, there’s something to be said about shared resources. At some point, “hotdesking” becomes an important part of academic life.

3 Likes

Beautiful view outside those windows! I’ve never been to Geneva, although I have been to Bern and St. Moritz.

1 Like

Many parts of Switzerland look quite nice, so it’s easy to become a bit blasé, even after a few days. Nicer views, around these parts, are overlooking the lake, with the French Alps across. That’s the view I used to have from my office in Lausanne. Quite frequently, the sky had this unique luminosity which typically isn’t captured through photography. Almost the equivalent of the Aurora Borealis we get in Northern parts of Canada.

Of course, ATX is nice too! I miss it, to be honest. Fond memories of Lake Travis…

1 Like

I hear a song written about all the places @enkerli has been, aka “everywhere”

1 Like

Nah. Haven’t been to that many places. It’s a wide world out there and I’ve only been to a few spots in a small zone stretching from Stockholm to Bamako and from Laredo to Winnipeg.

1 Like

Here is a view I have right now, from the deck on the top floor of our place. It has been rainy and cold so far in May and finally we have some warmer, sunnier weather so I’ve pulled out the working-outside setup that I haven’t used since last summer, complete with a table that is in desperate need of refinishing and some plant bags in desperate need of weeding!

Alt text: laptop sitting on a wooden table with an uneven finish, a cup of coffee next to it, on an outside deck with sun shining on the wooden deck floor and some plants in the background.

4 Likes

This is my space from where I like to work though it is not my home-office. It is actually the dining room. The window and the view is relaxing for my eyes, it- the view of the road even kind of puts me on the path of thinking. Evening sky looks beautiful from here with all colours.
[It also makes it easier to grab a bite or a cup of chai (tea). :grinning:]
The table of my home-office on the other hand, faces a wall. Maybe some other time will share that

3 Likes

I’m on my way to Nantes later today - and very excited! I’m looking forward to engaging with all of you and meeting some of you in person. I haven’t travelled since 2019, so this feels like an extra big deal, in part bc I have the privilege of bringing company along with me: I’m currently in Paris with my 13yr old, and she’ll be in Nantes with me, if largely chilling in the hotel. We’ve had an amazing 36 hrs or so walking (and tasting) our way around Paris…here we are outside Sacre Coeur!

4 Likes

Comiiiiing!

2 Likes

Usually I face a wall where photographs taken by my daughter are framed or sometimes the balcony with small climbers.

2 Likes

Looking forward to meeting you!

2 Likes

Me too. I will be in Hyderabad sometime soon. :slight_smile:

It’s 9:00am in Nantes and 1:00 here in Saskatchewan, Canada, where I am operating on CET timezone the next 3 days, so the view now in our office/library is d-a-r-k.

but brightened by seeing the signing of @JudithSebesta

3 Likes

Hi @clhendricksbc

Impressed with your accessibility “hack” for images on Discourse.

As far as I know, Discourse does not support the ALT tag natively, and was inspired by your clever solution, especially because I was trying to figure out a solution earlier today.

Thanks for modelling a good alternative!

1 Like

Good spotting Wayne, and yes, a solid approach to adding alt descriptions is just writing it.

In discourse, it’s a manual method… when I upload my image below, it is rendered in the editor as

![50680464743_1610bde340_k|690x458](upload://vYj2ARQrdlpKgzOvrfTO9Z6dzcA.jpeg)

where the first blob is the file name 50680464743_1610bde340_k I try to manually edit that so i shows in mouseover and clicking the image…

Hardly ideal- who but me likes editing Markdown?

2 Likes

Newb question - Do you know if a screen reader will recognize the mouse over image description?

Asking for a friend :thinking:

Your friend can try View source… That is rendered as the alt tag in the image as well as the title tag on the hypertext link. A screen reader will see the HTML, so it works

2 Likes