Just Like the Days of Folksonomy: OEG Connnect and the OER Recommendation Action Areas

I’m internet old enough to remember the mid 2000s era excitement of free form tagging of content, aka folksonomy and how it played out in the days of del.icio.us / social bookmarking.

I have noticed it has been accidentally/organically happening here in OEG Connect.

The OEGlobal 2021 online conference was built around the theme of the UNESCO OER Recommendation Action areas and we introduced first for the conference sessions a set of tags here to organize content related to the action areas.

It’s been interesting to see in the time since, that people creating topics here have continued to make use of them. See all OEG Connect content related to

There are of course many more tags in use in Connect, and in fact, the Discourse platform allows you to create your own tags.

Folksonomies are alive and well here. Tag and tag often in OEG Connect… see, I am using an oeg-connecting tag to organize hopefully helpful posts about using this space.

I did a search at Openverse on folksonomy and found this interesting pair of sketches that compare Taxonomy and Folksonomy that apparently were done as an assignment (?) and are openly shared

Imgur
the assignment: describe the difference between a taxonomy and a folksonomy” by littlegreenfroggy is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.

Imgur
the assignment: describe the difference between a taxonomy and a folksonomy” by littlegreenfroggy is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.

Thank you so much, my friend, for sharing this. You are definitely an OER pioneer who has adopted one of our characteristics of always sharing the good stuffs that can help this community strive. We must communicate best OE practices and always remind that we are one of the best communities, Think Tank, that exists in cyberspace. We are promote educational affordability and access worldwide. We must continue reaching out internationally!

We must continue preaching the Gospel of Open Education Practices.

1 Like