Open Recipes (like real food)

Do you like to cook? Do you have speciality dishes that you’d like to share? Do you know or have recipes that reflect the local food in your part of the world?

Share your recipes with a reply! Show us making in a video, photos, or just list the ingredients, steps, and special techniques. Share your recipe with a “seasoned” open license (“By Attribution With Extra Cayenne Pepper”).

As recipes start to appear, give one or more a try, and report back with stories and photos of your attempt at someone else’s recipe.

Someone has to start this off, it might as well be me.

My sister who lives far away texted me a photo showing how my niece had baked one of my Mom’s regular dishes, a noodle casserole or:

This is a staple at holiday dinners but also at Jewish events. Mom, who passed away in 2011, also supervised many kugels made in her role as director of the kitchen at her synagogue.

My sister had a copy of Mom’s recipe on an index card. I recognize her all caps handwriting:

Imgur
“Mom’s Kugel Recipe” flickr photo by cogdogblog https://flickr.com/photos/cogdog/50417823803 shared into the public domain using (CC0)

The thing I find about recipes on the internet is that that are often very similar for the same dish, but also noticeably different. That’s what makes it fun to try.

My step daughter made the kugel alongside Ukrainian traditional dishes of my wife’s family for our recent Canadian Thanksgiving. The good thing about it, is that it tastes great cold as leftovers, I had a slice for breakfast:

Imgur
“It’s Kugel For Breakfast” flickr photo by cogdogblog https://flickr.com/photos/cogdog/50420020218 shared into the public domain using (CC0)

So there you go, a recipe for Mom’s Kugel, I found another photo of a card she had written out for me, and just to show that recipes are not precise, it also includes in step 2 to add 2 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 cup of raisins.

I will give this a try doing conference week and maybe someone else might try to “remix” it themselves. My playful license is CC BY-JM (Creative Commons By Attribution to my Jewish Mother).

How about sharing a recipe from your kitchen?